Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Joining the Family Business


There has been an interesting development in Asher's life: a love of newspapers.

It's rooted in what goes on at his preschool, where his wonderful teacher gets a big sheet of paper out every day, titles it "Daily News" and writes up what is on the kids' minds. He loves reading about what's going on in his classmates' lives, and he's been asking his teacher after every class lately if he can "take home the newspaper."

Between this and his blossoming interest in typing on our laptop and agonizing over every word, I have a sinking feeling of where this is going.


I can see us now, sitting out back on our deck chairs in 30 years after Asher has joined the Family Business and me lamenting what could have been, his Pacino to my Brando in a recreation of the garden scene in "The Godfather."

Asher: What's the matter? What's bothering you?

(Me, saying nothing, looking at him sadly.)

Asher: I'll handle it. I told you I can handle it, I'll handle it.

Me: I knew that I was going to have to go through all this ... (I sit down next to Asher) ... But I never -- I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family. And I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those -- big shots. I don't apologize -- that's my life. But I thought that -- that when it was your time -- that -- that you would be the one to hold the strings. Senator Guzman. Governor Guzman, or something...

Asher: Another pezzonovante.

Me: There wasn't enough time, Asher. Wasn't enough time...

Asher: We'll get there, Papi. We'll get there.

1 comment:

Marvelous Me said...

Oh my stars. I'm going to be laughing about this one for a long time. :D Awesome.