Monday, October 25, 2010

fall afternoon conversation with asher

Context: We were walking up to the school playground late this afternoon and I had just grabbed Noe as he stepped out into the street. Noe is usually pretty cautious and I usually don't have to worry about him, but he loves to stomp the leaves on the ground and loses all sense of danger in the fall when the leaves are down.

Asher: Why did you grab Noe?
Me: Because I didn't want him to get hit by a car.
Asher: What will happen to him if a car hits him, he'll get smooshed?
Me: Yep. We don't want that to happen.
Asher: Yeah, I'd be really really sad to lose my brother. What will happen if Noe gets smooshed?
Me: We'll all be very sad. I will make sure that doesn't happen.
Asher: But....what if it does happen? Oh...I know, I know. You can get a new baby brother at the store the next day.
Me: Well.....
Asher: Yeah, you can get me a new brother. I'll miss Noe, but I'll have a new brother. Mom?
Me: Yes, Asher
Asher: When you go to the store to get a new brother, just make sure you get one that talks this time, ok?


1 comment:

Elise said...

This made me laugh out loud! Asher is a bright kid. I love how matter-of-fact kids are at this age. You have sweet boys.