Friday, May 29, 2009

Spelling Bee

We turned on the National Spelling Bee last night after dinner, and Asher was mesmerized by the whole production. He has always had a great passion for spelling words.

Last night, he would spell the words right along with the kids. I don't think he quite figured out that the kids didn't have the words on a screen in front of them as he did. He would clap enthusiastically when the kids spelled the word correctly, and feign sadness when they got the buzzer.

I'm not sure I could be a spelling stage mom. Hours of practicing words and learning word origins. Boring! Spending weekends holed up in hotel rooms in random cities for competitions. No thanks! And some of those kids had great personalities and were having fun with the whole thing, but others....they were wound up way too tight. Sad!

3 comments:

This is Carrie said...

I watched part of it too. It's so interesting. Loved the documentary that was made a few years back too.

Beth said...

Soooo cute!

Elise said...

I love that Asher is still interested in spelling words. That is so fun. I agree with you--I could never be a spelling bee mom. I can't think of much subject matter that would feel more monotonous than that.