Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rasputin's Vice (and mine, too)


Ever since our trip to Portland in June, I have been craving another Rasputin's Vice from Rimsky-Korsakov, a favorite coffee house in inner SE Portland. So when I was recently assigned to serve a dessert to our neighborhood book club, I decided to make a copycat version. It turned out really good....very close to the real thing.

I used coffee-flavored ice cream, whipped cream, raspberries, chopped up toffee bars and chocolate-covered espresso beans. I served them in the little Irish whiskey mugs I treasure so much from an old friend.

Eating my copycat Rasputin's Vice sent me straight back to that little coffee house -- reserved, cerebral, bohemian, and eclectic -- just like my Portland. I remembered a thousand nights out with my best friends, discussing first college plans, boyfriends....and later husbands, jobs and kids.

No comments: