Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted in My Pajamas

I had a crazy busy day planned today so I got up at 5:45am, pulled on my Nikes and a sweatshirt, and ran over to our polling place to beat the early morning crowd. I thought Ed was a fool for voting early and dealing with those crowds, until I saw the line in front of our polling place. It was dark and cold and I tried very hard to have all of those "proud American voter" feelings one is supposed to experience, but I was grumpy. Especially because everyone around me was holding their free Starbucks coffee and couldn't be happier about spending the first hour and half of their day in line.

Oh blessed mail ballot voting. I was tempted to run back to our house and pull out my senior honors thesis on Oregon's Mail Ballot Voting system and a megaphone and orate to the crowd about its benefits. I am all for democracy-in-action but there is a better way to do this folks!

Now....it's just a matter of waiting for the results. Fingers crossed!!!

3 comments:

Michael A. Cleverly said...

People I know locally who early voted had to wait for an hour or two each. I decided waiting in line early to avoid waiting in line wasn't really a net win. So I waited until 8:30am this morning and had no wait while voting.

Jen said...

Michael!!! Good to see your comment....I'm dying to know which Democrats you voted for....I had to look twice to make sure I was really looking at your blog.

You smart to not vote early...I should have waited until my day was over in the afternoon. I passed by later this afternoon and there was no line outside.

Anonymous said...

I voted in my p.j.s too. At the kitchen table with a cup of hot chocolate. Yea, I love mail in voting! auti jan