Monday, May 12, 2014

mother's day 2014

Sunday afternoon at Casa Guzman.  Ed is working, so it's just me and the kiddos….

Asher: Mom, I have to give you the Mother's Day present I made at school for you.

Me:  Ok

Asher:  It's in my backpack.  Where did you put my backpack?  (Looking frantically)  Help me find my backpack!

We look for the backpack and I find it….in the closet where it typically lives on non-school days.

Asher: (Dumping all the contents of his backpack on the floor of my living room).  Huh?  I can't find it!  It should be in here!  Did you throw it away?

Me: No.  Why would I do that?

We look through the backpack and it isn't there.

Me:  Did you put it in your coat pocket?

Asher: Maybe.  Mom, where is my coat?  Where did you put it?  Did I leave it at school?  (He dumps all of the coats out of the closet and onto the floor trying to find his….)

Meanwhile, Noe has used my distraction to put a barstool on top of the couch and is attempting to climb up on top of it and sit…..

We did a have a lovely evening walk around the neighborhood together.  The weather was warm and inviting.  My intention was to just walk a few blocks before dinner, but we ended up outside until after bedtime and then ate a quick, late dinner.

I never wanted kids growing up.  Sometime after college, but before I met Ed, I warmed up to the idea. Then we vacillated between being a family of four or a family of six.   Autism made that decision for us, and four feels perfect.  I strive to be a better person for these two - I don't want my actions or behavior to ever disappoint them.



No comments: