Digging my heels into outside-the-home work over the past three years has taught me a lot about myself and what I want my future to look like. For instance...
- I think it would be extremely difficult for me to go back to full-time stay-at-home mode now. I am so much happier, healthier, and more productive with another title besides mom. Life can get hectic and stressed with so many "plates to keep spinning" but most days it is better.
- I like working autonomy and a flexible schedule (and have a lot of it in my current job) and someday want to own a business or nonprofit, even if it is just a side hustle. I think I've always known this.
- I also still want to teach. I don't know how I'm going to reconcile those two goals.
- It's interesting how much I value that flexibility and autonomy. A year ago I was offered a potentially much higher paying position that would have put me directly back under the company umbrella. I barely considered the offer...and it wasn't because I didn't have use for the extra money! I love being able to plan my work schedule around my kids and life most days....even if it means I have to stay up late working some nights. I don't take for granted how good I have things in this department.
- Work is also the reason why I post twice a month on this blog instead of twice a week like I used to.... it's not very appealing to sit down with my laptop after an entire day of .... sitting down with my laptop.