Saturday, June 12, 2010

Leaving the Nest

The boys and I were enjoying the last bit of daylight on an usually pleasant June day at the neighborhood playground. Me with my book, the boys with their cars and balls. At some point, I looked up from my book to see a black blur falling from the tree above. And then another. Upon further investigation, we found two baby crows hopping around, trying to figure out the best way to escape a playground full of noisy children. I looked above and spotted the nest where they had lived, with both parents looking down at their offspring. They squawked around a little and I thought I heard something akin to "We're free! We're free!", and soon flew off into the sunset together....literally. I have a feeling they had booked a cruise to the Bahamas and didn't want to be late!

1 comment:

Stacy Smith said...

That is a fun story. I am sure you are right about the parents flying for freedom, after all they have spent months raising those kids.